The Licenses page lets you view existing license orders and create new license orders.
From here, you can also access the End User Portal to view exactly the same information about existing license orders as your end users see when they activate their license via the End User Portal.
To enter the End User Portal, go to the top of the License Orders grid on the Licenses page and click the View in End User Portal icon.
Viewing an existing license order
The License Orders grid on the Licenses page lists information about existing licenses, including:
- Activation key
- Customer name
- Product name and version
- Template name used to create the license order
- Creation time (the precise time the license was created in the system)
- Update time (the precise time the license order was last edited)
- Deactivations remaining (the number of times the end user can deactivate a license)
- Deactivations allowed (the maximum number of end-user license deactivations allowed using SOAP API)
- Activations remaining (the number of activations that remain under the license order)
- Activations allowed (the maximum number of activations under the license order)
- Information on whether the end user can activate and/or download the licenses belonging to the license order (the default setting is Enabled).
The icons in the Action column let you perform actions for individual license orders, including:
- Edit the license order (see below)
- Deactivate the license order
- Reset deactivations counter
- View the license template
- View the license order history (see below)
- Delete the license order
You can save the information from the License Orders table and other tables in LAC as described in Exporting data from LAC.
Creating a license order
To create a license order, click the Create License Order button in the Licenses page. In the Add License Order dialog that displays, enter the license order information as described below.
The General tab in the Add License Order dialog lets you specify:
This option sets whether the end user can activate and download licenses belonging to the license order. The default setting is Enabled.
The customer who will be receiving the license. The customer must be defined using the Customer page before creating the license for that customer. You can then select the customer from a pick list in the General tab.
The product that is being licensed. The product must be defined using the Products page before creating the license. You can then select the product from a pick list in the General tab.
The template to use for the license. You can select any template that has been created for the product.
License Order Count
The number of activation keys to create. You can enter a number from 1 to 500.
An optional description for the license order.
The HostIDs tab in the Add License Order dialog lets you override the HostID settings in the selected template if needed. See Creating templates for a product for more information about locking licenses to HostIDs.
The Settings tab in the Add License Order dialog lets you override the settings in the selected template if needed, including the following.
For the product:
- License type
- Licensee type (Custom Name, Customer Name, or Not Specified)
- Maximum number of concurrent licenses that can be activated under the License Order
- Customer name (if Customer Name is selected as the Licensee type)
- Licensee (if Custom Name is selected as the Licensee Type)
- Maximum number of end-user license deactivations allowed using SOAP API
- Optional description of the license order
For each feature:
- Feature version
- Feature expiration settings
- Optional additional feature settings to include in the template
- Optional feature settings to include in the template for LM-X License Manager license generators only, including Comment, Options, Issued Type, and Maintenance Type settings
- Network license count (if applicable)
Any template settings that you override are displayed in yellow inside the Add License Order dialog fields.
Editing a license order
You can change the settings for an existing license order by clicking the Edit icon in the Action column for the license order you want to change.
When you edit an existing license order, an Edit License Order dialog shows the details of the license order and lets you preview the license order. Using this dialog, you can change many of the license order settings in the same manner as described in "Creating a license order," above.
In addition, when editing a license order, you can send a request to remove the license from the end user's host machine by checking the Remove From Host checkbox. Note that If the license has not yet been generated, this checkbox is disabled. (See Removing license files using the API to learn about using the removal flag to program your software to remove license files.)
License order information that is not modifiable, such as the activation key and product, are displayed but grayed out in the Edit License Order dialog. See Editing information in LAC for general information about editing existing LAC objects.
You can also view and modify existing license order information by editing customer information from the Customer page.
Viewing license order history
You can view the history for a license order by clicking the More icon under the Action column for the desired license order, and selecting History from the list of actions.
The history includes:
- The time the action took place
- The action that took place (see tables below for more details)
- User that performed the action, which can be:
- The user name
- End User (if the action was performed by an end user)
- Deleted User (if the action was performed by a user that has since been deleted)
- Hostname of the computer used to perform the action
- IP Address of the computer used to perform the action
License order history actions
Different types of actions are possible depending on the type of user responsible for the action.
Actions that result from activity by users other than an end user (Administrator, Sales or Reseller) include the following.
The license order was added.
The license order was edited.
|Deactivated||The license order was deactivated.|
|Deleted||The license order was deleted.|
|Deactivations||The deactivations counter was reset.|
Actions that result from end user activity include the following.
|The end user attempted to activate the license.|
Activation Request Failed
|The license activation request failed due to insufficient or incorrect data supplied by the end user.|
|Downloaded||The end user activated and downloaded the license.|
|Activation Failed||There was a problem generating the license, such as expired license generator, invalid data, or some other error.|
|Removal From Host Request Succeeded|
The end user checked whether the license should be removed.
|Removal From Host Request Failed|
An error occurred when checking whether the license should be removed.
|The license removal was confirmed.|
Removal Confirmation Failed
|The license removal failed.|
|The end user deactivated the license.|
|The license deactivation failed.|